Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Another Fourth of July...

I spent my Sunday attending a figure drawing session in Los Alamos, a town one hour North of Santa Fe where they've designed and built nuclear weapons for about sixty-seven years. It's a small mountain town that every time I visit seems to resonate a strange and ominous energy in my chest and ears. The majority of the cities population is employed by the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL), which has a total staff of somewhere around twelve-thousand five-hundred people. One lady drawing with us had worked at the Lab for over twenty years.

I drove up from Santa Fe through rain and snowfall at around nine in the morning with fellow artists McLean Kendree and Sean Closson in tow. I spent my time drawing multiple sheets of paper until around three in the afternoon (with a one hour pause to devourer some lunch and coffee). This image is the sketch I devoted the most time to. It's interesting to see our (predictably) different interpretations of the same model in the same pose.


Around one to one and a half hours, 11" x 14" Wolffs-Carbon pencil on white Rives BFK.






6 comments:

abey said...

i like your drawings, well balanced between form and expression. I'll be checking your blog :)

Lamar Mathurin said...

thanks man!. I have been following you stuff for a while. your skills are ridiculous!

Tyler Schatz said...

this piece is oozing with energy man, sweet work!

Francisco Galárraga said...

awesome man! really love how you "fire" your lines all over the place - it looks amazing.

Cuyler Smith said...

great work! The line quality is amazing

Lizardscruff said...

really nice sketches man